Grape Seed Extract and Weight Loss?
Latin name: Vitis vinifera
Putative Health Benefits of Grape Seed Extract:
- May improve wound healing
- Possibly beneficial for osteoporosis
- May inhibit tooth decay
- May be beneficial for skin cancer and osteoporosis
- Possibly beneficial for chronic venous insufficiency
- Reducing cardiovascular risk in patients with diabetes
[box type="note"]Essentially grape seed extract is touted for having antioxidants including polyphenols.[/box]
Does Grape Seed Extract Promote Weight Loss?
A recent study published by Vogels et al (2004) suggest that grape seed extract may play a significant role in body-weight management:
“These findings suggest that grape seed could be effective in reducing 24 h EI in normal to overweight dietary unrestrained subjects, and could, therefore, play a significant role in body-weight management.”
- Vogels N, Nijs IM, Westerterp-Plantenga MS. The effect of grape-seed extract on 24 h energy intake in humans. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2004 Apr;58(4):667-73.