NOPE, It Doesn’t Help You Lose Weight!
Does NOPE (N-oleyl-phosphatidylethanolamine) really help you lose weight? Millions of Americans struggle with obesity and are constantly on the look-out for the latest weight loss pill. A recent study in the British Journal of Nutrition explored the efficacy of NOPE. The study found that NOPE was no more effective than placebo in helping overweight patients to lose weight. However, NOPE did help improve insulin resistance, depression symptoms and with severity of binge eating.
“Many studies have found that N-oleyl-ethanolamine (NOE), a metabolite of N-oleyl-phosphatidylethanolamine (NOPE), and epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG) inhibit food intake. The main aim of this study was to evaluate the efficacy of 2 months of administration of an oily NOPE-EGCG complex (85 mg NOPE and 50 mg EGCG per capsule) and its effect on compliance with diet in healthy, overweight people.”
138 healthy, overweight women (106) and men (thirty-two) were randomly assigned to one of two groups:
- Treatment group (seventy-one patients: fifty-three females, eighteen males) taking two capsules per day of an oral supplement or
- Placebo group (sixty-seven patients: fifty-three females, fourteen males).
[box type="important"]Important! [Both groups observed a 3344 kJ/d energy restriction.][/box]
- The treatment induced a significant weight reduction in both groups ( – 3.28 kg and – 2.67 kg in NOPE-EGCG and placebo, respectively)
- Weight changes were not significantly different between the groups.
- NOPE-EGCG treatment improved insulin resistance (P < 0.001)
- Sensation feelings of fullness (P < 0.05)
- Depressive symptoms (P < 0.004)
- Severity of binge eating (P < 0.0001)
- NOPE was not effective for promoting weight loss!
- However, it was effective for treating depressive symptoms, reducing severity of binge eating, and improving insulin resistance (found in diabetes).
- Rondanelli M, Opizzi A, Solerte SB, Trotti R, Klersy C, Cazzola R. Administration of a dietary supplement ( N-oleyl-phosphatidylethanolamine and epigallocatechin-3-gallate formula) enhances compliance with diet in healthy overweight subjects: a randomized controlled trial. Br J Nutr. 2008 Jul 1:1-8.